Something different and a better beginning were expected from this newly looked Arsenal. After a very strong second half of 2014-15 season and a great pre-season Arsenal was expected to be strong candidates for the Premier League title. But things didn’t go according to the plan. Now the question is, what’s next for Arsenal? Can the Gunners win EPL this season? Follow the discussion.
What Next For Arsenal? Can They Win EPL This Season?
Arsenal remained silent in the transfer market other than the signing of veteran Chelsea keeper Petr Cech. Four time Premier League winner Cech was supposed to be the fresh air in the dressing room and key ingredients for ambitious title surge after a long time. He was straight up against his former side Chelsea in the Community Shield final; he and Arsenal passed the test as Arsene’s men won against Jose Mourinho for the first time. Hope raised within the fan base and Arsenal looked serious title contenders after all these statements and good form. Everybody expected them to start the 2015-16 Premier League with a bang.
First Two Match Of The English Premier League 2015/16
Their first match was on Sunday against West Ham United at the packed Emirates stadium, in front of home support. The stage was set, but they failed to capitalize. Lost the match 2-0, even the introduction of Sanchez in 2nd half wasn’t enough. West Ham recorded a remarkable win over their city rivals after eight long years.
In the second match they manage a hard fought victory against Crystal Palace (2-1) in away fixture. That was just an average performance from the team.
Can Arsenal Win EPL 2015/16? What Next For Gunners?
Once again normalcy returned to Arsenal, an upsetting start of the season once again. Questions once again rises over Arsene’s transfer policy, ambition and mindset. Fans though that they had enough firepower and defensive stability to challenge for the title, but performance in two games, somehow rises some question mark.
1) Francis Coquelin didn’t have any impact on the first game and in the second he was also ordinary. As it seems they a need a much better and experienced anchorman as Arteta has left his prime. Honestly, they needed an ideal CDM to control things with more mastery. Arsenal was linked with Morgan Schneiderlin, but he ended up with rivals Manchester United.
2) They also need a lethal striker up front. Arsenal has linked up with Karim Benzema for the whole summer, but they were not really serious and conscious about their needs. Karim is an unrealistic option as he is the only center forward of Real Madrid and very vital in their play. Rely on Giroud will be the same story all over again.
3) The old disease of poor set-piece defending made them bite the dust again. The defense looked rusty and clumsy, opened up so easily in both matches. They need to tighten up things as soon as possible. They can’t hope to be titled challenger with such set-piece defending and sloppy play in midfield.
4) Consistent performance required from Ozil and Ramsey. Once again Sanchez, Cazorla, Koscielny and Bellerín will be key in this season.
5) Arsenal is strongly linked with Sevilla star midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak. He will be a great signing for them as the qualities shown in Sevilla colors. Mauro Icardi would have been a realistic option for the center forward position. One week to go, but plenty of questions remain over the striker issue.
You only can look forward in life, no way to think about past for more. Arsenal faces Liverpool, Newcastle, Stoke, Chelsea, Leicester City and Manchester United in next 6 game weeks and they need to be at their best to get at least 12-14 points in those fixtures. They are under pressure, but need to play freely and they have quality players in the squad. Despite winning starts from their Manchester rivals, they bound to lose rhythm and points at some stages of the campaign. Chelsea didn’t start well, only 1 point in 2 games. So Gunners have to just concentrate on their own games and weak points, much better defense and finishing is needed from their attackers.
They can’t afford anything sloppy from now, if they find their rhythm and get their games right things will be a lot easier. Obviously the Liverpool game is crucial for the morale and confidence of the team. Let’s hope for the best and expect a crunch title race towards the end of the season, which we haven’t seen for quite some times.
For more news and update, follow footballlens and don’t forget to bookmark us.
This article has written by Asfaque Alam. Fan of Real Madrid and Germany. Passionate about the game and love to write article about football. If you have similar interest, you can drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute.